Saturday, October 18, 2008

DIY - Simple Audio System

I love music. Driving to work from home takes 45 mins and it will be a great bore without any music for entertainment. If I were to enjoy my drive in the Mini, I need Music ! Putting on a headphone is a NO NO. Installing a full Car Audio System will be risky and expensive. Risky because thieves will brake the glass and steal the system. I am not too worry about them stealing the things.. I am more worry about where to find a replacement Mini windscreen/window !!

I DIYed this Audio System using cheap/existing items I have:
- Dell USB Speaker
- Car USB Power Adapter
- iPod


Here is the Dell USB Speakers I am using.  I picked this model because of the sound clarity and it is cheap. And also because it uses USB as the power supply, I can easily power it using a Car Adapter without much wiring work.

I hide all the cables under the carpeting on the Mini's dashboard. leaving only the USB and Audio Input jack. Approx 10cm in length.



The speakers are mounted on both ends. Fasten down using screws.

And, the music comes from the iPOD Nano! You can see the Car Adapter in the background; powering the Speakers. 

Here is the video I uploaded to YouTube. Enjoy.... 




No comments: