Thursday, October 16, 2008

Mini cranked, but couldn't start !

This morning, I was planning to drive the Mini to work. Jumped into the car and tried to start... However, the Mini's engine just cranked but couldn't start. Tried again and again... finally gave up. Took my other car to work, feeling kinda disappointed.


(Picture taken at 7am in the morning, still kinda dark so the image is a bit shaky)

When I reached home that evening, I tried to crank the car again. Thinking that the problem maybe was from the Wet/Cold Carburator as it was raining quite heavily the night before. Still couldn't get it to start.

I do notice a very strong petrol smell coming from the engine compartment. After a quick check, found out that the fuel hose from the Petrol Pump is loose, and petrol is leaking. 



The fuel pump is on the engine block, below the carburator. You can barely see it from here. 


Here is the close up of the petrol pump with the hose reattached. I had to cut the hose shorter as the original attachment was slightly cracked. 

After installing it. The car cranked and started with no problems at all!! Happy that it was just a small problem and it was easily solved...  However.. the battery was a bit weak from all the cranking.

--------

The Next Morning : Wanted to drive the Mini to work, ALAS, the battery was too weak to crank the engine. I got it removed and dropped it at my mechanic's doors (Too early, his shop was not openned yet) to be charged and collected it on my way home from work; everything was just fine after that.

No comments: